About the Scholarship Advisory Council
The Scholarship Advisory Council continues the work started by the Spring 2012 Scholarship Advisory Council in determining policies and procedures for scholarship administration and further determining evaluative structures to ensure scholarships are being utilized to meet strategic initiatives as outlined in Appalachian's Strategic Plan. The charge to the Scholarship Advisory Council includes the following:
- Meet at least once per semester to review and evaluate recommendations and progress towards meeting enrollment goals as outlined in the Strategic Plan.
- Research and identify the appropriate funding level (i.e., "magic number") for merit scholarships compared to cost of attendance for students to better attract targeted students to Appalachian.
- Make budget allocations for New River Light and Power and Bookstore funded merit scholarships based upon strategic initiatives. Distributions should be made by percentage for varying populations (e.g., transfer, international, diverse, academic profile, etc.).
- Review annual report of yield rates for scholarships offered.
- Monitor yield rates over time and make adjustments in scholarship allocations after three years based upon evaluation results of effectiveness of scholarships in yielding targeted students.
- Recommend innovative scholarships programming (e.g., "Leadership in Community Service", "Leadership in Environmental Sustainability") and targeted recruitment of students who demonstrate this affinity.
- Advise the Director of Scholarships in identifying processes and procedures for more effectively administering the continuing student scholarships that are awarded by academic departments.
- Identify processes and procedures for more effectively administering study abroad scholarships to achieve goals outlined in the Quality Enhancement Plan.
The 2017-2018 Scholarship Advisory Council includes 20 members appointed by the Provost:
- Cindy Barr, Enrollment Management
- Laura Crandall, University Advancement
- Matt Dull, Student Development
- Willie C. Fleming, Chancellor's Office
- Sam Formby, Walker College of Business
- Geoff Graham, University Advancement
- Dru Henson, College of Arts and Sciences
- Holly Hirst, Mathematical Sciences, Faculty Chair
- Leah Beth Hubbard, University Scholarships
- Jay Jackson, Hayes School of Music
- Anthony Jones, Office of Student Financial Aid
- Nickolas Jordan, Reich College of Education
- Phyllis Kloda, College of Fine and Applied Arts
- Denise Levy, Beaver College of Health Sciences
- Martha Marking, University Scholarship Selection Committee
- Mike Mayfield, Wilson Scholars Program
- Erika Patillo, Belk Library
- Alexis Pope, Admissions
- Rob Sanders, Williams Graduate School
- Jefford Vahlbusch, Honors College
- Log in to access meeting notes and materials.